Scala is a programming language that is a superset of Java, blending the object-oriented and the functional programming paradigms. The language is complex and could take a semester or more to master. This class focuses only on the elements that are necessary to be able to program in Cloudera’s training courses.
Through instructor-led discussion or OnDemand videos, as well as hands-on exercises, participants will learn:
- What Scala is and how it differs from languages such as Java or Python
- Why Scala is a good choice for Spark programming
- How to use key language features such as data types, collections, and flow control
- How to implement functional programming solutions in Scala
- How to work with Scala classes, packages, and libraries Working with libraries
Audience and prerequisites
Basic knowledge of programming concepts such as objects, conditional statements, and looping is required. This course is best suited to students with Java programming experience. Those with experience in another language may prefer the Just Enough Python course. Basic knowledge of Linux is assumed.
Please note that this course does not teach big data concepts, nor does it cover how to use Cloudera software. Instead, it is meant as a precursor for one of our developer-focused training courses that provide those skills.